Comic Creator & Storyteller
It’s a body of work that’s so powerful, you may wonder if Dan Jurgens wears a cape himself.
If you are a fan of DC Comics or Marvel Comics, you have likely been influenced by Dan’s creative genius. Having written or drawn most every major title published by DC Comics and Marvel Comics, Dan’s passion for writing and drawing has left an indelible mark on the industry.
Jurgens began his career with DC Comics as artist on THE WARLORD. Shortly after, he created, wrote and drew BOOSTER GOLD for DC. He continued with stints on FLASH GORDON, GREEN ARROW, and THE JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA. Most notably, he logged a ten-year run as writer/artist on SUPERMAN, including the best-selling Death of Superman for which he won the National Cartoonists Society Award for Best in Comic Book Division. Jurgens followed up with the mega-hit crossover ZERO HOUR, which redefined the DC Universe.
In 2005, Jurgens shifted into the world of book publishing to write and illustrate ‘You Can Draw Marvel Characters’ for Dorling Kindersley Publishing.
Jurgens has since returned to DC Comics where he helped relaunch, write and draw BOOSTER GOLD, which he first created in 1985. He moved on to write and draw TIME MASTERS: VANISHING POINT and revisit the Death of Superman in DC UNIVERSE: LEGACIES. In 2011, Dan returned to writing and drawing BOOSTER GOLD in order to make it part of a very special storyline involving the entire universe of DC characters.
As part of DC Comics' major NEW 52 launch, Dan was heavily involved in two projects. He started with JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL, which focused on a team of global heroes serving as earth's protectors. The team was lead by Dan's creation, Booster Gold. In addition, Dan drew the newly launched GREEN ARROW series, featuring a dramatic new vision of DC's Emerald Archer. Dan followed that up with a return to the SUPERMAN and FIRESTORM titles, which he wrote and drew.
In 2014, Dan was one of the writers on the weekly NEW 52: FUTURES END series, which explored DC’s future. That led to DC’s CONVERGENCE event and SUPERMAN: LOIS & CLARK, which reestablished Superman as DC’s pre-eminent hero and also introduced his son Jon.
As part of DC’s incredibly popular 2016 REBIRTH effort, Dan wrote two titles. The first was DC Comics’ longest running title, ACTION COMICS, which debuted on the newsstands in 1938, starring SUPERMAN. Dan revitalized the Man of Steel with a different approach and continued that all the way through ACTION COMICS #100. Dan also took over BATMAN BEYOND, telling the story of BATMAN and Bruce Wayne forty years in the future. Shortly after that, Dan wrote the adventures of Dick Grayson in NIGHTWING and TITANS GIANT, a title that was exclusive to Walmart stores.
After that, Dan wrote GENERATIONS SHATTERED and GENERATIONS FORGED, which structured the Linearverse for DC. He also drew a number of covers for Marvel Comics, featuring characters like Spider-Man, Hulk, Wolverine, the X-Men and Avengers.
2022 saw Dan return to his favorite creation, Booster Gold, as he wrote the DC mini-series BLUE AND GOLD, starring Booster and the Blue Beetle in a project that evoked the best of “buddy cops” style movies. That year also happened to be the 30th anniversary of the DEATH OF SUPERMAN and Dan wrote and drew a 40-page story celebrating the event in THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN 30th ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL. Dan also returned to Thor, a character he wrote for seven years, with a story he wrote and drew for THOR #750, which celebrated the thunder god’s 60th anniversary.
These days, Dan has returned to ACTION COMICS where he’s writing a feature starring Superman, Lois and young Jon Kent, telling the untold stories of how DC’s preeminent super couple raised their young son to be the hero he is. Dan is also writing the adventures of another iconic character, Tarzan, in Dynamite Comics’ LORD OF THE JUNGLE series.
Dan is also hard at work on projects that will hit the stands in 2024. Stay tuned for some special announcements!
- NIGHTWING writer, 2019
- TITANS GIANT writer and cover artist 2018 - present
- BATMAN BEYOND writer 2016–present
- ACTION COMICS starring SUPERMAN writer, 2016–2018
- SUPERMAN: LOIS & CLARK writer 2015–2016
- BAT-MITE writer 2015
- CONVERGENCE: SUPERMAN writer/artist 2015
- CONVERGENCE: BOOSTER GOLD writer 2015
- NEW 52: FUTURES END writer 2014–2015
- AQUAMAN & THE OTHERS writer 2014
- FIRESTORM writer/artist 2012–2013
- SUPERMAN writer/artist 2012
- JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL writer 2011–2012
- GREEN ARROW artist 2011
- BOOSTER GOLD creator/writer/artist 2011
- TIME MASTERS: VANISHING POINT writer/artist 2010
- DC UNIVERSE: LEGACIES artist 2010
- THE BRAVE AND BOLD #23 writer/artist 2009
- BOOSTER GOLD creator/writer/artist 2007–2010
- TANGENT: SUPERMAN’S REIGN writer 2008
- COUNTDOWN: History of the Multiverse writer/artist 2007
- METAMORPHO YEAR ONE writer 2007
- 52: History of the DC Universe writer/artist 2006
- NIGHTWING artist 2006
- INFINITE CRISIS: SECRET FILES artist 2006
- SUPERMAN: DAY OF DOOM writer/artist 2003
- AQUAMAN writer 2000–2001
- TITANS/LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES: UNIVERSE ABLAZE writer/artist 2000
- BATMAN: NO MAN'S LAND artist 1999
- SUPERMAN/FANTASTIC FOUR writer/artist 1999
- SUPERMAN: SECRET FILES writer/artist 1998
- TANGENT COMICS volume II creator/consultant/writer/artist 1998
- SUPERMAN: THE DOOMSDAY WARS writer/artist 1998
- TANGENT COMICS creator/consultant/writer/artist 1997
- SUPERMAN ANNUAL writer 1997
- DC VERSUS MARVEL artist 1996
- TEEN TITANS writer/artist 1996–1998
- SUPERMAN/DOOMSDAY: HUNTER/PREY writer/artist 1994
- ZERO HOUR: CRISIS IN TIME writer/artist 1994
- SUPERMAN ANNUAL writer 1993
- JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA writer/artist 1992–1993
- METAL MEN artist 1993
- AGENT LIBERTY SPECIAL creator/writer/cover artist 1992
- SUPERMAN writer/artist 1991–1995 writer 1995–1999
- SUPERMAN ANNUAL writer 1991
- ARMAGEDDON 2001 artist 1991
- DETECTIVE COMICS BATMAN ANNUAL writer 1990
- ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN ANNUAL writer 1990
- FLASH GORDON writer/artist 1989
- GREEN ARROW artist 1988–1990
- ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN writer and/or artist 1987–1991
- ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN ANNUAL artist 1987
- BOOSTER GOLD volume one creator/writer/artist 1985–1987
- BATMAN ANNUAL artist 1985
- TALES OF THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES artist 1985
- SUN DEVILS co-creator/writer/artist 1984–1985
- THE WARLORD artist 1982–1984
- SUPREME POWER: HYPERION artist 2005-2006
- THE NEW AVENGERS GUEST STARRING THE FANTASTIC FOUR artist 2005
- FANTASTIC FOUR MOVIE ADAPTATION artist 2005
- COMBAT ZONE: TRUE TALES OF G.I.S IN IRAQ Graphic Novel artist 2005
- CAPTAIN AMERICA writer 1999–2000 writer/artist 2000-2002
- THE MIGHTY THOR writer 1998–2004
- THE SENSATIONAL SPIDER-MAN writer/artist 1996
- TOMB RAIDER: THE GREATEST TREASURE OF ALL writer 2005
- COMMON GROUNDS artist 2003
- RISING STARS: BRIGHT artist 2003
- TOMB RAIDER: THE SERIES writer 1999–2002
- YOU CAN DRAW MARVEL CHARACTERS author/illustrator 2006
- SUPERMAN/ALIENS writer/artist 1995